Tuesday, June 07, 2011

More life = more happiness?

I really do not want to make a statement or judgement. But something happened today & I realized that generalizing this could be ok...of course with exceptions, as usual.

Older people have seen more. They have lived more. So, they should be happier...right?
Well, I have mostly seen it to be au contraire.
Today, me & S were at the Garden. We have an organic plot, where we grow organic vegetables. Actually, we have just started.
So, I was respectfully sowing all my seeds. There is no way S would just sit & SEE me do it for 45 minutes. She had better things to do; Like digging the mud, getting all dirty, watering plants, blowing a dandelion. You know, STUFF.
And I let her do it. As if I have options, huh?
But I ask her to let me know where she goes(within the garden of course) & I check on her every couple of minutes. Knowingly, she would also raise her head every few minutes to meet my eyes.
On one such eye contact, I saw her lifting a big stone & putting it somewhere. I saw an elderly man, trying to tell her something. So, I went closer to check. He told me angrily, "Do you know what she just did?" Poor thing! By then she guessed something was wrong & she was the reason. She put her head down & made a :( face.
She had actually accomplished in lifting up a big stone but put it inside someone else's lot, as in where someone grew plants. The old man got so angry. I told him, "I am sorry. I will talk to her." I figured, it has already been done & the least I could do was talk to her & explain what she has done. He got so upset. He said, "The least you could do is supervise her" & went away. I smiled. At S. By then, she was expecting something from me. When I explained what she did upset that "thatha" she felt bad. And said she won't do it again. And then she followed me to our lot & never left my sight after that.
A very small incident. This old man would have been in his later 60's. I agree, at this age, plants mean so much. Still!
I was filled with, "Children are not born knowing everything...they don't understand what we want...heck! they don't understand what they want"...along those lines. But then I stopped myself saying I was trying to be a victim to this situation.
I decided then. I don't want to be resentful if I am old & alive. I want to enjoy & experience every moment of this joyous life. I realized that this moment...if gone, is gone. I don't want to save my life for when I am 60. I don't want to care for 60. I want to care for now. And my now is S. As long as I am a child WITH her, she will take care of that for me. What a blessing a child can be!

2 comments:

Jagadeesh said...

yes ,they remind us of the moment to moment truth, "blissfulness"

Vidhya said...

its unfortunate that he reacted that way...the positive thing is she has learned that something was wrong wo even u telling her. kids are smart!!

Post a Comment