Skip to main content

Where the tigers dwell


Exploring India's premier national park in Uttarakhand was a long-held dream realized. Jim Corbett National Park not only acquainted me with its resident tigers but also offered insights into the life of Jim Corbett himself. His literary works sparked my curiosity and offered company during breaks between safaris.

Numerous moments left me in awe:

  • The gentle descent of golden leaves from the towering Sal trees.
  • The profound silence enveloping the forest.
  • To interpret the language of the forest.
  • The majestic presence of the Ramganga river.
  • Witnessing two fish owls unsuccessfully pursue a yellow-throated martin.
  • Hearing the measured tread of a tiger through the dry leaves and finally seeing it in its habitat(more than once).
  • Perusing Jim Corbett's books within the park.
  • Recognizing the profound significance of such sanctuaries, benefiting both wildlife and personal introspection.

At times, the safaris seemed like a quest, a fervent pursuit to sight tigers. The outings typically commenced in tranquil silence. However, once news of a sighting spread, pandemonium ensued immediately. Amidst the frenzy, people hurried past the endemic birds and other fauna in their eagerness to catch a glimpse of the majestic tiger.

Nevertheless, amidst it all, we felt secure, and the national park appeared akin to a cherished gem.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Isha Yoga

Though I knew it, one of our family brought it to light that it has been a long time I posted here. I'd love to say that the last few weeks were pretty hectic & I just couldn't find time to write something here. Not so! The last few weeks have been totally different. I've had the time to do so many things that were in my "to do" list for a long time. Thanks to better management of time & sleep. The secret: a seven day yoga program. A very close friend forced me to join this course. I was hesitant & skeptical. I was not sure I was up for the 30 min twice a day commitment(40 days). I have a toddler & I really toggle between her & other work at home already. Plus what big change would come? But somehow, I registered for this class. Since I read somewhere that they give discount for married couples, I brought G in too(though the main reason would be to make sure I get through the 40 days). From the day I registered till the 1st day at class, this

A milestone

Today,exactly a year ago, 17th September 2009 was my first day of Shambhavi . My association with Isha. The first 40 days, for some reason, did not look like a milestone. I continued it twice even after the 40 days. And then 2 months later, I took my first trip to the Tennessee Ashram for my Shoonya. And the 6 months target was also touched. Since then, no looking back. But now, 1 year. Sure seems like a milestone. Don't know why. But it does. I am aware that there are so many people with more than 15 years association with Isha. But this is my journey. And I feel many things. Mostly grateful. Life has changed immensely. I'd have probably missed my daily practices for about 5 days in all of this 365 days. It did not seem easy to even think of doing 2 hours of practice every day for 1 year. But somehow, it happened. Between S. Between all our travels. It just happened. It feels like the worst of the my life is behind me. I don't have anything to look forward to. Just honest

The day has come

when I am really happy. For my Mother mostly, but also for so many things untellable. Amma has just returned from Isha Yoga Center for an advanced program & she has been raving ever since she got back yesterday. Amma did her Inner Engineering 3 months ago. She has been regular with her practices. And in just 2 months time, the family doctor has reduced her sugar medication to almost nil. While I wait for the day it actually becomes NIL, I am so relieved, satisfied & grateful that this has happened. She has also dropped all other medications that she was on. She has been peaceful, energetic & happy for no reason apparently & I can definitely see a big change in her. And the way I am sharing things with her, I told her that I've never felt so close to her, ever. And it means a lot to say this when she is 60. But yesterday, when she was sharing her visit to the Ashram, my heart just wanted to be there. How privileged are some people! Amma has an extremely low tolera