Wednesday, August 25, 2010

crossing boundaries

7.00 am. I am sitting on a plane. Alone. I look behind. Calgary downtown lit up by the morning Sun. And the Silhouette of the Rockies in the backdrop. I wonder. No. Conclude. There is no city that has a landscape like this. Well. I always considered San Francisco to have one of the best skylines too. That counts. And this too. :)
In a while I am airborne. Got a twist in the neck looking out of the window hoping to follow the Rockies. I probably followed until what seemed like Denver(beneath the clouds) & then all I know is we were 140 mi from Houston. This is the first time I am flying into IAH. And all I could think of was, "Houston, we have a problem". How dramatic!
Geography is important to me. So, I was (actually)hoping to find the border from 37000ft high up. Where Canada meets the US. But I couldn't. It all looked the same. Until Houston. But Houston was different. All of a sudden a busy airport. Too many people(Pardon me, no pun intended). And steak everywhere. It should be hard to survive in Houston. And the weather. What's with the 90F?
I was getting ready to taste the worse(or better?)

IAH. Comfortably closed myself to the situation & plugged into the iPod. Ah. My world.
The second flight. A little bumpy. We were crossing the Gulf of Mexico. The geo freak in me was looking hard for the oil spills. Hallucinations helped in identifying everything brown as oil. So stopped at that. Landed in Tampa. Rains! Not so bad. But the cats & dogs(er, the rain) reminds me of Calgary-(subtract)the cold. And the humidity.
Good to see the beach. And the pelicans. And a couple of bridges. A toll bridge. Strike of horror!
1. toll $1.00
2. Gas price $2.50/gallon. Sweet!
Add no state income tax. Wow. Will I settle here? Nah!
To Calgary! cheers.

Why am I here? Will follow. For now, enjoying the bliss of being here.

0 comments:

Post a Comment