Thursday, October 28, 2010

Does it happen only in Canada?

I get to meet a lot of people, thanks to the classes I take S to. The one thing that has not ceased to amaze me in Canada(among many other things) is the diversity amongst people. I meet 5 people & they are all from different countries. And yet, they behave like they are equally amicable. Like, yesterday, I met a lady from Pakistan. Being in India, I've never really had ill-feelings towards Pakistani's. Pakistan, maybe. But not the people. And I told her, "You and me talking like this...It can probably happen only in Canada." To my surprise, she told me that her husband is an Indian. Canadian now, but Indian origin. From Madras. That told me they haven't been home for a very long time. She did not know that Madras has moved to Chennai now:)
But seriously, all this boundaries, these limitations, who is stopping me from breaking it? After all, it is me who created it.
And these Pakistanis, they talk Hindi, so hell...I can even talk to them.
Is there any other place on Earth like Canada? I would really like to know.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I thought the USA too is metropolitan with people of all races, religion and culture. No?
This article was published quite sometime ago-
http://www.melvindurai.com/border.htm

ME said...

:) Neat link.
But In my 6 yrs, never met a single Pakistani in the US. But Canada, maybe it is their easy immigration laws, there are so many Pakistanis who moved with families long time ago. It makes sense as none of them seemed to have gone "home" since they landed here.

JM said...

Oh! Pakistan is such a beautiful place, my 2 weeks in Islamabad, I could write a book, not a single person that I worked with showed remorse hatred...

I guess its just cricket and politics!

Post a Comment