Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Guru Pooja

Coming from a not-so-traditional-but-yet-conventional Brahmin family, Sanskrit always intrigued me. Though I did not learn it, I've learnt quite a bit of Sanskrit words in the name of slokas as a kid. But nothing really meant any sense to me & I definitely did not know the value of it.
Now, after all these years, I have received something from a very sacred place taught in a very traditional manner. Two days of just uttering those words with others, gives me the shivers even now. This is what a Gurukulam would have been like. When there was nothing to write down. You just listen & sing(about a hundred times) until your whole being gets it.
I heard the Guru pooja for the first time at my Inner Engineering. It felt like something but I managed not to give it too much thought. There was already too much going on in the class.
But every single time I've had the opportunity since then, I would find tears flood my eyes. The pooja itself, the words, the way it is done, will bring devotion even to the most logical person. It did. To me.
When I received it last pournami, I felt blessed...in a strange way. So much gratitude at just uttering these words. I don't know what the words mean. I am not interested. But everyday, as I start my day with the pooja, every single day has been different. Good different. I did not know a mantra could do this to me until now.
The magnitude of the privilege of uttering these words is still beyond me. And I am so glad they did not give out the benefits explicitly. Now I just do it without wondering if something is happening or not.
I feel so grateful.

1 comments:

Vinutha said...

It's always true Meera, Guru Pooja itself throws body go out of the shell and break all thoughts and make you to live that moment. With whole gratitude, bow down the living master and all others.

Post a Comment