Wednesday, October 24, 2007

rendez-vous with a Mexican Mami

I had a rather interesting talk with a Mexican mami(She's a mommy too!!) in Walmart. We were in the same section looking for sweat pants. I was the only other person there, so she started her talk about why she was looking for sweats in the first place. She is visiting her son in Denver in early November & is going to be there for over a month.
I was a patient listener(she was not boring at all). She asked me if I was Indian. After I confirmed, she started the real story. Her DIL-to-be is also Indian. I went uh-oh! If her DIL-t-b was not liked(which is not very rare) is she going to blame the whole Indian community???
Well! She started by saying that she was such a doll. Hmm...not so bad after all. In fact, she does not find any difference between Mexicans & Indians(I hear that all the time) & she agreed almost immediately to her son's wedding.
We had a chat(her talking, me nodding is more appropriate) for almost 10 min. I now know quite a bit about her husband, son, DIL, her sister & mother.
I ended up telling a bit about myself too. She wished me luck & apologized for having taken too much time.
Well! Its not often I meet someone who likes Indians(trust me!). It felt nice to meet her in fact.
Mexican ho ya Indian, Maa to aakhir Maa hi hoti hai.
What surprised me the most was, she never, for a minute, hesitated to disclose that her DIL was from a different culture/country. I doubt if that would be the case if any Indian married someone outside the caste. A million woes, whinings probably for as long as either of them is alive!
That was the thought of my day.

God save her from Denver's winter.

1 comments:

The Avenger !!! said...

lolzz true, even the indians here look at new comers to US with such disdain.

lets hope she has a great time in denver :)

Post a Comment