Saturday, May 08, 2010

Breaking free

For the last 6 years, I considered a dishwasher as the most inevitable part of my life!
I just could not imagine washing all those dishes, everyday. Plus I also blame little S a bit for that. "A child in the house means more dishes."
Ridiculous. No. RIDICULOUS!

But since last month, I have been living without one & I realize how my mind made me believe that it was THE most important part of my everyday routine.
When I settled up the house, I bought quite a bit of boxes & I had to obviously wash them all at once if I needed to fill up groceries in them. That seemed like a never-ending process. And how much ever the label on the dish liquid yelled, "soft on hands", I found it hard on my hands. Well, I am not used to this...not this much. That made me kneel down in reverence for all the maids that worked in our home as I grew up.
I stopped whining. I geared up with a pair of gloves & started doing the job. With some music in the background, I am actually starting to enjoy this whole process.
I am not sure how much water I am saving by doing the dishes myself. But I am sure I would save at least some. At the end of the day, that is all I need to get some good sleep.
There goes my bondage with the dishwasher. [ROTFL]

2 comments:

Marcie J said...

We don't have a dishwasher by choice - wanted room to have some pull out drawers for baking etc. The only time I think we suffer without one is when guests are over and there are a multitude of dishes that no one wants to do till morning, AND, the inability to just shove some dishes in the dishwasher to get them out of sight...

I do think you save a bit of water and energy/electricity....

I like what you write - keep it up, you'll have more followers before you know it:)

ME said...

I did not know you can become a dishwasher-not-wanter(by choice). I became one out of compulsion. But love every bit of it:) Seems like I have more time to do the dishes. With a toddler around, I'd love any extra time. Thanks for your kind words.

Post a Comment