Thursday, May 06, 2010

More Calgary

Finally Settled! Kinda.
Settling so soon has everything to do with IKEA. Just a weekend in that one stop shop. God, I love the store. As much as I'd like to get a local store experience, I am so relieved when I see a Costco, IKEA & Walmart. With these stores, I know what to buy where.

This is the view outside our window. What's not to love?







I seem to have forgotten Bay area already. That's funny.
Because, when I left India to settle in Bay Area, I was holding on to India like it was my life. And every instance G showed a slight hint that he had forgotten about it, I'd remind him all about how terrible a husband he was for having brought me away from Amma, my city & my country. If I was G, I'd have sent myself happily back home. Poor G!

I have loving people back home("home" is now a relative term). I still love them. But I don't seem to miss them. Not that much where it would kill me.
I have realized that everyone has their way with life & I am happy where mine is taking me. Part of it has to do with the impossible fact that I am in the city of Calgary. One of the prettiest cities I've seen. Though I love SF, I wouldn't fancy living there. Calgary, well...given a choice I wouldn't live anywhere in the city. But the gas prices are so high that you are forced to live close to work. I definitely like my current residence better than the downtown apartment hands down.
The library system is great here. Though the membership is not free(a meagre sum), they have a whole lot of stuff for kids the age of S. And all their programs are free(S has a library card too- of course, that's free).
As I gather more information on this city(& country), Calgary is still a large town & they have a lot of community awareness.
Every small town in this large town has leisure centers. And these leisure centers live up to their name. They have a wave pool some 1000+ km from the ocean.
And these leisure center is a stone throw away from home. Of course this becomes a far throw when it is snowing outside, which has pretty much been the case since we landed here. :) Driving is not too difficult, so long the low speed limits don't bother you. Side note: We have not yet driven outside the city.

We now drive a Subaru Forrester. With the extra AWD, snow is not a big issue. Even otherwise, what snows at night hardly stays on until morning. The air is so moisture-deprived. You would need a single salary to sustain your moisturizer purchases. :)

But having said all of that, I read Bay area's temperature as 80F(in May) & I am only happy that it is snowing here. What I once guessed came true. I am a cold person. [I can hear myself say, "Ok dear. Wait until winter's near." Well, will wait & see.]


I love this city called Calgary in this country of Canada. I love it as much as I miss sitting in an IE class! Well, there's always hope.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Grrr, grrrr. Snowing!
Do you know the temperature of namma chennai where this loyal reader is based?! Alienating us eh?
Casting the evil-eye! Seriously, Wait for winter.

Beautiful place! Though SF is more my type- california is supossed to be more "earthy" right.

Library! Sigh, been ages since I stepped into one. Should find one, British Embassy maybe.

And regarding S, read the amar chithra katha and jataka tales to her. The indian part is only secondary, the main part is they make much more sense than fairy tales.

ME said...

Anupama, All those books will be visiting Canada via grandmother :)
Anyways, I don't read fairy tales to her. She loves animals!!! Dinosaurs & crocodiles would keep her occupied for days together.

Unknown said...

love animals? my twin!! (only 25 yrs apart and different mothers, minor detail)
she will LOVE these animal stories!

ME said...

Definitely a minor detail. :)

Post a Comment